Updated: May 16
Thanks to the SuccessFoundation for this image. For all of the Entrepreneurs out there I sincerely hope you identify with this.
Starting a business in the last year has been so challenging. I started the week before the Hong Kong protests and then we went straight into #COVID19 I cannot tell you about the stress this has caused and how bad my timing this was for this. If you started your business a year ago in Hong Kong, you will be right where I am!
However, luckily I am a Coach. I can self coach. I also have 2 amazing Coaches who are helping me through this (yes Coaches have their own Coaches. We understand the total value!) I thought I would give away a few self coaching exercises which have help me over the last year. Obviously HAVING a Coach is by far the best option, but if you are concerned about costing then here are some coaching techniques you can use.
Top 5 Coaching Techniques For Startup and Entrepreneur Success
1. Focus on what you CAN control. Anything which is beyond your control, notice it, accept it and move on.
2. When the detail and day to day is getting too much, pull back and take a helicopter view of what you are trying to achieve. Stay focused and ask yourself what is the reason why you are doing this? What started you on this path? What are you aiming to achieve? What is the outcome?
3. Choose a goal to work towards and work out a pathway to that goal. Even if it a smaller and achievable goal for that hour/ day/ week/ month. Sometimes starting a business can be overwhelming. Breaking down your time into bite size chunks and tasks can help.
4. Start noticing what actually makes you happy and brings you joy. If you are struggling with the day to day of running your own business. Take a little time out to do something you can do which makes you sincerely happy and where you can have some of your own time. Write these times of joy down. What are you doing? Where are you? Who are you with? This can be a go to diary when you are really struggling and need a reset.
5. Keep noticing your own, feelings, behaviours, reactions. What makes you happy. What makes you angry. How do you react? What is working for you? What is not working for you? Notice and remember. Especially areas you want to make change. Noticing and self awareness is one of the greatest qualities a Leader has. Then you have the ability to adapt and change when needed for a better outcome.
Coaching can help you create self awareness, be a better communicator, develop patience, develop further innovation and enhance your relationship with the people around you. For a conversation about how coaching can help you be a better leader connect with us here
Caroline Langston is the Founder of Successful Consultants Ltd. She is also the Founder of recruitersgiveback.org a nonprofit providing free information and coaching to people who are unemployed. Caroline is dedicated to coaching people for success and happiness in their careers and lives. She is degree qualified with further certifications in Neuro Linguistic Programming at Master Practitioner and Coach level. She has completed 80 hours of training at International Coaching Federation (ICF) standards. caroline@successCL.com www.recruitergiveback.org